Friday, October 5, 2012

ULM Horn studies with Dr. James Boldin 10-5-2012 - On the road again with KDAQ



Biedenharn Recital Hall on the campus of ULM in Monroe is a medium sized, intimate arts theater with extremely fine acoustic  properties. I had the opportunity to play on the stage this afternoon with James Boldin offering comments from the theatre seats. Doesn't take much blowing to raise the roof there, say on the Siegfried Horn call, and yet the soft solo passages from Tchaikovsky's Symphony 5 are absolutely gorgeous and so strikingly rich and mellow on my Rauch. Have to try the Shostakovich 5 next time for the lower register.

Excerpts haven't always been my favorite form of study for Horn, (I like to play ad libitum from top to bottom registers and could for hours) but recently, I have once again gone back to some basics (which we all do from time to time) to focus on one or two areas. CHOPS! And more CHOPS!

During my drive to Monroe today, I listened to Liszt and Mozart on KDAQ. The Friday regional broadcast today was from a South Arkansas Symphony concert from last January featuring young Colton Peltier, a piano student now at  The Juilliard School of Music and violinist Elisabeth  Bordelon, of Shreveport, violin student of Kermit Poling.  Also on today's program was Wagner's Siefried Idyll, one of my favorite chamber pieces.

Next week, looking forward to my drive to Texarkana for our opening orchestra season concert. On the program - Haydn Symphony No. 93 in D, Beethoven Symphony No. 1 in C, Mozart Clarinet Concerto in A with guest artist Jean-Francois Normand, Mozart Titus Overture and Mozart Marriage of Figaro. Mr. Peltier plays the Grieg Concerto No. 1 with the Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestra on Thursday October 18 at the River Center Theater.

Once again my congratulations to James Boldin for winning the recent SSO audition for Fourth Horn.

No comments: