Tuesday, August 21, 2012

ULM - On the road again 8-17-2012

Ahhhhhh, "You're getting to be a habit with me".  I'll have to research the composer who wrote that song, but I feel as though I could have written it myself. No, I don't think my sisters and I ever sang that one as we never travelled to Monroe when we all lived here although 2 of us did travel to Natchitoches for the orchestra/band ensemble festivals (on a school bus). Loved to play horn duets, trios and quartets. And we always made a "Superior" rating for solos and ensembles. Judy Causey was in our horn group at Lakeshore Jr. High and later Fair Park H.S.

This time on my weekly trip to Monroe, I certainly wasn't bored. No music this time, but two lanes of east bound traffic suddenly came to a screeching stop when a very large 18 wheeler threw what was left of a tire all over the road right in front of us. Thank you, hubby, for replacing my break pads recently. My Volvo stopped on a dime only inches from the auto in front of me. Whewwwwwwwww! Last week, driving back home, I ran over what appeared to be a huge chunk of scrap metal which I couldn't avoid and heard it whap and clang underneath the car as it worked its way out from under the back bumper. Kept checking the gauges all the way to Shreveport for any signs of a problem, leakages, etc. Harold checked as well a few days later and said I hit it just right - in the middle of the undercarriage. I don't even want to repeat what he said could have been damaged or torn off. Several thousand dollars of car parts!! Plus all the labor,  his labor, of course.

James Boldin and I worked on some excerpts and went through our usual duet routine switching off parts. So, now I have the Brandenburg Concerto No. 1, 2nd Horn part and am reminded of my previous efforts many years ago. It's been about 30 years since I have played it, and I had forgotten what a bugger it is. I remember being on stage some years ago at the Civic Theatre and playing the 1st part to the last movement for some show. Now that was exciting!!!! Or should I say painful? I love those high "c's" . . . . . . . uh . . . . . . I'm speechless. They just go on and on if you are playing ad libitum.


Dr. James Boldin - excerpts

protein bar, green tea, my "bag" and this time, my Lawson,
although I dearly love my Rauch

Passing the time buzzing

An old friend from the past greets me with a "hello" again and a "how are you   playing 
this week?" 



No comments: