Monday, August 13, 2012

Violist Marcus Rose sets recital for Friday August 17, 2012



Marcus Rose will be in recital at Frost Chapel, FBC  . . . Friday August 17, @ 6:30 PM


Violist Marcus Rose - Juilliard student


Marcus Rose, a former student of local professional violist Borys Smolaga is now an undergraduate student at the prestigious Juilliard  School of Music in New York. I asked him to update me on his studies and here is his reply:

"Well , I've been home for a little over a month after finishing a half session at the Castleman Quartet Program in NY.  Other than that I've just been preparing for the recital and trying to get the word out as much as possible.  I'm at Juilliard right now studying with Steven Tenenbom, head of Chamber music at Curtis Institute, and Heidi Castleman.  I got to perform with Juilliard orchestra at Alice Tully and Avery Fischer Hall.  And I got a loaned viola from the Virtu foundation.  That's pretty much my recent life in a nutshell."

IN A NUTSHELL? Hardly! ...... Wow. Marcus is still a teen-ager.

In 2009, while still a student at Caddo Magnet School, Marcus won the TSO Youth Solo Competition held annually by the Texarkana Symphony Orchestra. He also played in the Marshall Symphony, The Longview Symphony and was an active musician in various church programs and social functions.



Marcus at the Perot Theatre in Texarkana, working with his
viola teacher Borys Smolaga before orchestra rehearsal


Marcus, a Marshall Symphony section violist


This Friday night August 17, Marcus will be giving a FREE recital at 6:30 PM at First Baptist Church, Frost Chapel. Featured are works by Bach, Faure', Paganini, Schubert, Bartok, and Dr. Todd Gabriel. 

I plan to be there and I hope you will be, too. Let's support our young musicians. They are our future!!

No comments: