Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Well, DANG - I am feeling very unappreciated and betrayed



Well, "Dang", folks - My SSO  "core" 2nd Horn position is up for grabs, first time in several decades. So says the Musicians' Union monthly periodical, "The International Musician". Yep, I know how it works because I was the SSO Personnel Manager for 32 years and prepared all auditions for years. Always had to plan my summer vacation around auditions and payroll. A real bummer for my family every year.


And, "Geez," the SSO 4th Horn position, the position I was offered again and declined again only a few days before I was given my termination notice (and 2 months after I had received my Intent Contract for the SSO 2012 - 2013 season) as Second Horn, is also up for grabs. Imagine - two horn positions, both vacated at the same time? Good grief, Charlie Brown, what happened and why? Two of the three oldest members of the SSO and in the same section getting pink slips? Actually, in reality, one retired and the other definitely has decided not to retire, yet. 


Could it be that "others" did not do their collective bargaining homework, someone else took advantage of the "miscue" in our previous MCBA and now that clause will never be used again? The new MCBA (The Master Collective Bargaining Agreement) which I am sure has been signed by now (June 30, being the end of our official fiscal year) most likely re-clarified (corrected) the termination date and reverted to the previous date of March 15, NOT MAY 15, two months after contracts are issued. Well, well, a little clause with a big date that will never be used again on any musician, BUT it certainly whacked me from the blind side. Hey, I didn't even get to register my vote - wasn't asked to the signing party.


And that, my readers, is why I wrote my first post a few weeks ago on this blog about being blind-sided, hit by a Mac truck and shoved over a cliff with no regard for protocol or damage control. Collateral damage? Yes, indeed. An innocent bystander who was not protected by the system? Yes, indeed. Now what? Indeed!


Ah . . . . I feeling better now . . . . . . . .  To be continued . . . . . . . . 


one of the rare opportunities to play my Lawson


In-school ensemble concerts - one of my very favorite core member orchestra activities

No comments: