Friday, September 21, 2012

ULM and etc. 14 and 21 September 2012

Wonderful day to spend time driving to and from ULM. And I believe there is a football game on campus this evening which is being televised on one of the ESPN stations. Glad I was able to boogie out of the area a little early this week. 

My thanks to Kermit Poling at KDAQ for providing "a little travelling music" for me to enjoy on my trip to Monroe during the lunch hour. Kermit was the guest artist for the final SSO concert of last season playing Samuel Barber's Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, one of my very favorite pieces. On this same program was Hanson's Symphony No. 2, a virtual fiesta for Horn players, Bernstein's Overture to Candide and Peck's percussion piece, The Grandeur and the Glory played by Chandler Teague, Anthony Robinson and Douglas Parmelee. Thanks, for the entertainment, guys!

Today James Boldin and I worked with various mutes and then listened to some of the Bach Mass in b minor, rather the 10th section "Quonium" (bassaria) of 24 sections , the one part in the entire Mass which Bach wrote to include the Horn in the instrumentation. Heard three or four versions, one of which I enjoyed more than the others. Natural Horn sound best to me, but a valved horn version was decent as well. Yep, you guessed it. I am now working on that piece together with my trusty Lawson. Sorry, no Corno da Caccia. No descant horn either. Stay with me, mouthpiece. Exciting stuff.


Listening to the last section of the Peck percussion piece on KDAQ in the ULM Arts parking lot

James Boldin in his music studio




No comments: