Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Working with horn player James Boldin

Today I drove to ULM in Monroe, LA to work a little with a friend and colleague of mine, horn player Dr. James Boldin. I have admired his playing for some time and we managed to go through a few warm up duets and exercises after chatting a while about his recent trip to Thailand to teach lessons to some very energetic and dedicated students who have a passion for the everything HORN. If I can manage to copy some photos that he took while there, I will post them on this blog soon.

Next week we will look at some solos and other duets. It's great to be playing again and I love my Rauch. Anyone need a Lawson medium - large bore? Not much going on for me this summer in the way of music so far. The summer musical I always play with FUMC Shreveport (this year it is "Music Man") apparently is not orchestrated for Horns. 

My husband and I will be flying to Idaho at some point this summer along with my sister to visit another sister, my brother and my mom, another family reunion of sorts. Gorgeous place, nice weather and lots to do. Can't take my horn as I did last year when we drove, only my mouthpiece. No, I don't plan to serenade the passengers. 

You can catch up with James and his tips on horn playing and teaching Horn on his blog:



Photos provided by James Boldin

Alex Noppe, James Boldin, Micah Everett - ULM Faculty Brass



James with Thai students

sightseeing in Thailand

Royal Thai Navy Band workshop



No comments: